The flowers are popping up out of the ground, trees are blossoming and getting ready to set leaves, and the sun is out far more and for much longer than it has been for the last several months. Finally, you can get all the exercise you need in the great outdoors without fear of becoming drenched from excessive rain or turning into an icicle because of the cold weather and biting winds. Ungluing your kids faces from their iPads and laptops and getting them out to breathe some fresh air is also perfect for stimulating their brains and bodies and a great way to spend some quality family time.
There are plenty of Spring activities to get excited about that will get you into tip top shape for the Summer season. Read about some you might want to try with friends, family, or on your own, personal time below:
- Spring Cleaning Outdoors: As Spring rolls around, you can bet that your neglected yard will need some well-deserved attention, and working on it will be a great way to burn calories while getting something worthwhile done. Raking leaves, trimming bushes and planting seeds and flowers are great ways of sprucing up your curbside or backyard and making your place the envy of everyone on your street. Jumping into this activity for about an hour can burn up to 225 calories, and will make you feel refreshed and accomplished.
- Bird Watching: Take a visit to your closest nature reserve or park, or just spend an afternoon in your own backyard, and you’ll be surprised by the myriad of birds that you’ll be able to spot. Take a bird watching guide with you so that you can read more about the different songs you’ll hear, and learn how to recognize different calls. Binoculars are also a must for seeing the details on each pretty chirper, and you’ll be able to find them in a range of prices.
- Take a Hike: but dont get lost. Going on a rigorous excursion of the outdoors will work your legs and feed your soul with its beauty. Once you experience the grandeur of nature, you’ll want to hike around all the beautiful spots in the world. If you really get hooked, look into completing an outdoor/adventure course in your area through one of the many accredited online colleges to make it part of your everyday reality.
- Kite Flying: Another great activity to do with your kids, this form of exercise is fun and artistic. You can make your own kite if you’re the craftier type, or just have your kids add some streamers or ribbons to a store bought kite for a personal touch. Spring is the best time of year for kite flying, as the weather conditions and changing wind direction are optimal for getting a kite in the air.
- Bike Riding: You can ride bikes all year long if you’ve got the right type of bike and tires, but the fresh Spring weather makes it the best time to hit the paths or dirt trails. A great activity to do with your family or friends, biking is also an ideal cross-training method for more serious athletes. If your’e training intensely, consulting someone through respiratory therapist schools or attending courses youself is recommended, as breathing the right way will immensely help you improve your performance whilst exercising.